The Reward and Recognition Scheme for Non-teaching Staff (the Scheme) is established for the purpose of recognising non-teaching staff who have made significant contributions and/or provided exceptional service beyond their scope of normal duties, in support of achieving the University’s strategic goals. The Scheme will receive nominations/applications every other year.
- The Scheme includes Individual Awards and Team Awards, and an Exemplary Service Award especially for recognising frontline and middle level non-teaching staff.
- These awards will be given to non-teaching staff who have made significant contributions and/or exceptional service in their area(s) of work beyond their normal scope of duties. All full-time non-teaching staff with one year or above appointment in Faculties/Schools/Offices/Centres will be eligible to be nominated by the supervisor (or by another eligible full-time staff). Up to three awards may be given out in each round, and each award recipient will receive a Certificate of Excellence in Performance, and a cash award.
- These awards will be given to teams of non-teaching staff to recognise their outstanding contributions and achievements in meeting strategic goals, enhancing operational efficiency and effectiveness, embracing creativity and innovation, saving resources, and/or streamlining processes. The teams may comprise of staff members from the same office or across offices, and may also include academic/teaching staff where appropriate. A team may be made up of at least two and up to 20 members, from the same or different Faculties/Schools/Offices/Centres, but is not intended to include the whole Faculty/School/Office/Centre. The team may have been formed for specific goals/objectives. Members should have specific roles and responsibilities and would collectively account for certain performance indicators. A maximum of three teams will be given awards in each round. Each team member will receive a Certificate of Excellence in Performance, and the whole team will share a cash award for group activities to be proposed by the team leader in consultation with team members and be realised within a reasonable timeframe. The proposal will be approved by the respective Vice-President before implementation.
Exemplary Service Award
- The award will be given to non-teaching staff at the General or Executive/Professional Staff Categories who have provided exemplary services in their area(s) of work beyond their normal scope of duties. All full-time non-teaching staff at the General and Executive/Professional Staff Categories with one year or above appointment in Faculties/Schools/Offices/Centres will be eligible to be nominated by the supervisor (or by another eligible full-time staff). One award may be given out in each round, and the award recipient will receive a Certificate of Excellence in Performance, and a cash award.
- For Individual Awards and the Exemplary Service Award, staff members with one year or above appointment, or those who have continuously served the University for one year or above by the closing date of nomination/application, may be nominated by their supervisor (or by another eligible full-time staff). Detailed justifications should be provided in a nomination form which should be counter-signed by the respective Dean/Head. The staff members will also need to provide a self-statement showing details of the achievement.
- For Team Awards, applications may be made by the teams themselves, or through nomination by a respective Dean/Head. Applications/nominations should be submitted with detailed justifications by means of a standard form. If nominated by a Dean/Head, endorsement by the respective Dean/Head is necessary.
- Justifications and self-statements made in the forms should not be more than four A4-size pages in total. Supporting documents (if any) may be in hard or soft copy, and should not be more than 10 pages or 2,500 words in total.
- Nominations cannot be anonymous. They should specify the period in which the staff member/team is nominated. Details like how the staff member/team has performed his/her/their duties above and beyond the requirements of the job, what positive influence he/she/they have on others, what/how specific targets are met and how consistent the excellent work has been, and what kind of enhancement of services or processes has been made should be included.
- All signed applications/nominations will be forwarded to the Selection Panel for consideration and recommendation of the Panel to the President and Vice-Chancellor for approval.
- The Selection Panel is comprised of the following membership:
Vice-President (Administration) and Secretary
- Two academic staff [to be appointed by Vice-President (Academic) and Vice-President (Research and Development)]
- One non-teaching staff [to be appointed by the Panel Chairman]
- One staff-elected member on the Council [to be appointed by the Panel Chairman]
SELECTION PROCESS AND CRITERIA
- The Selection Panel will consider all the nominations for Individual Awards, Exemplary Service Award, and applications/ nominations for Team Awards. The criteria for assessment, which will reflect the characteristic excellent contributions of different categories of staff, will include but not limited to:
(a) Whether the individual/team has made significant contributions/support in achieving strategic goals;
(b) Whether the individual/team has achieved significant enhancement in operational efficiency and effectiveness; and/or
(c) Whether the individual/team has provided exemplary service in their area(s) of work beyond the normal scope of duties.
- Some examples of excellence in performance may be as follows:
(a) Completion of a major task or project ahead of schedule, coupled with significant savings in resources;
(b) Contribution to the effective handling of an event, showing exceptional commitment or adaptability beyond what are generally required of staff at a similar band/category;
(c) Tackling successfully an unplanned or unexpected task, a crisis/an emergency situation, or a complex incident;
(d) Actively seeking ways to advance beyond the status quo, suggesting or designing an innovative approach, solution or idea for the improvement of a work practice/process within the team/unit/section, which have led to greater efficiency, improved quality, cost saving, and/or contribution to the achievement of University goals;
(e) Having achieved a particularly challenging goal or objective, or overcome a significant obstacle while ensuring a deadline has been met.
(f) Demonstration of sincere cooperative and positive attitudes as well as exceptional willingness to assist others while the kindness on students/colleagues/visitors/customers of the University has made a positive impact.
(g) Serving as a role model in the provision of excellent services – known to the community (ie within an office, a department/unit or a work area) as a reliable person and/or willing volunteer who reaches out to others and motivates others.
(h) Demonstration of high standards of professionalism in specific area(s) of work by delivering excellent services which surpasses expectations.
- For consideration of Team Awards, special credits will be given to those teams which are diverse (i.e. across disciplines/functions, across offices/departments/units), with larger team size of say over 10 persons, which have achieved targets clearly aligned to the University’s strategic goals.
- The Selection Panel may request for additional information from the nominees/applicants and/or their supervisor(s) or peers as appropriate. In that connection, meeting with the nominees/applicants, and inviting presentations of their achievement/contribution from the nominees/applicants, if considered necessary, will be arranged. The supervisor(s), other related staff, and/or Deans/Heads may be consulted as resources persons.
- If there is no unanimous choice among the Panel Members, a decision will be made by majority vote. In the event of a tie, the Chairman may make the final recommendations.
- The decision of the Selection Panel will be put forth to the President and Vice-Chancellor for approval. The decision of the President and Vice-Chancellor will be final and there will be no appeals.